Over the summer, you can brush up on your Finnish skills by studying and learning Finnish while relaxing in the sun. Here are some top tips for holiday language learning:
1. Listen to music, tune in to radio shows and pick up on conversations in the street and on public transport.
The best way to improve your speaking skills is to copy the way Finns speak. Write down phrases you pick up. If you’re in a Finnish class or taking a Finnish course online, for example, ask your teacher what the phrases mean and how they are used in different contexts. You’ll be speaking Finnish before you know it!
2. Read simplified Finnish news articles, comic books, blogs and the free Metro newspaper every day.
Reading is the best way to improve your vocabulary. Easy does it: start with texts that are short, current or otherwise of interest to you.
3. Get active with WhatsApp and Facebook messages. Check out your Finnish friends’ messages for reference.
Writing is an important part of language learning. Social media is also great for brushing up on Finnish speaking skills. WhatsApp and Facebook messages are shorter than standard language, and they often use words and phrases that are common in spoken language. You will learn more Finnish and improve your language skills before you know it!
4. Start watching Finnish TV shows, follow Finnish YouTubers and look up interesting Snapchatters.
There’s plenty of material for language learning in social media. Keep up your Finnish language training by posting on Snapchat every day! Some learners have started creating learning material themselves.
5. Practise your Finnish vocabulary with Memrise, Pimsleur, Duolingo and other mobile apps.
Everyone who has ever studied Finnish knows the challenge posed by Finnish vocabulary. Different learning games, apps and vocabulary exercises provide a solution to this problem. Never again a dull moment on a bus or a train as you improve your Finnish skills!
6. Participate in a language cafe meeting, find a Finnish language buddy or language exchange partner.
Make new friends as an added bonus while learning Finnish.
7. Start a hobby where you have to speak Finnish.
Activities such as playing football, participating in open-air yoga or taking cooking courses will improve your Finnish in leaps and bounds.
8. Sign up for volunteer work.
On top of great language learning opportunities, volunteering will give you new friends, work experience and the joy of helping others. There are tons of different groups and organisations to choose from.
9. Work with different communities at events
Whether it’s the Savonlinna Opera Festival, Ilosaarirock in Joensuu or Pielavesi Muikku festival, volunteering as a helper will give you experience in organising events and help you get to know like-minded people. You will learn Finnish and improve your language skills while working!
10. Keep speaking Finnish with everyone, everywhere!
It’s often easier to practise speaking with strangers than with your friends and family members. Always speak Finnish when you get the chance.